Many young and old people have never learned to cook. The younger groups today usually obtain jobs in fast food restaurants learning little about true cooking. There are many seniors how have lost their marriage partner who know nothing about cooking. Then there are those that simple never took the time to learn how to cook. By offering cooking classes you are helping people to better nutrion, save money, and become involved with others, creating fellowship.
- Location- First, you must decide where are you going to have class. There are many free places to hold a cooking class. Some examples are your local church kitchen, lodge kitchen, Salvation Army Kitchen, and local National Guard Units to name a fee. You can begin by writing up a good curriculum to follow backed by videos, pictures, and poster boards
- How to Begin: A great place to start is a basic macaroni and cheese, moving to quick fix salads and simple spaghetti lunches. Grilling or oven backing chicken, fish and other healthy foods.
- First Aid Classes: Exegetical Ministries offers a complete first aid seminar. We recommend this class be taken first. Kitchen safety in specific may not be taught in that class, so a special kick off set of instructions before the cooking class begins is necessary concerning kitchen safety. Kitchens can be very dangerous, containing knives, can openers, electrical plugs,hot burners, flames and much more.
- Begin at Entry Level: What is the reason for your class. Is it basic cooking skills, cooking breakfast eggs & bacon, baking in the microwave, mixing a salad, or making cold cuts.Move them from basic boiling eggs, and simple dishes to the next level for instance a stew with mashed potatoes.
- Move Slowly to Graduate Levels: Stick to simple dishes, but keep changing the menu each class. After several weeks of your planned curriculum, toward the closing of the classes you should have taught your students to prepare complete meals with complete security. Throughout the class give homework and assignments of cooking something simple at home and bringing to the class. Make sure it is different than other class mates. Prepare all along for a final written test, and a cook off grand price giving Prices. Let everyone one win something, according to their merits. Having a set of local cooking judges come in that day will excite the class, and word will spread about your out reach cooking class. Remember, you are the teacher, never begin to place yourself above your class work with them. Helpful Links-